Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chapter 7

     My eyes flash open and I sit up breathing heavily. I let out a sigh of relief. I'm in Rachel's room. I turn over and see that the alarm clock reads 4:13 A.M. I throw myself back against the pillow. What is up with all these crazy dreams I keep having;they are totally screwing up my sleep patterns. Tears start to fill my eyes. I have so many questions and no answers. Why do I have to go to a new school? Why did Michael and Anna enroll me into a new school without talking to me first? Why do I have to be what I am? Why can't I be like a normal girl who only worries about clothes, and hair, and boys? I try to hold back the tears. Why did my parents have to die? I would trade the answers to all these other questions for the answer to my parents deaths. I love Michael and Anna, but they could never replace my real mom and dad. I cover my head with my blanket and cry myself to sleep.
   I was woken up by someone ferociously shaking my shoulders. I sit up and rub my eyes which are still sore from last nights breakdown.
  "God, I thought you were never going to get up!"Rachel exclaimed.
  "I'm sorry."I yawn,"I woke up in the middle of the night."
  "It's ok."She pauses and looks around nervously.
  "Whats wrong?"I ask.
  "Anna called." I sigh and throw myself back down on my pile of blankets and cover my head with my pillow.
  "What did she say?"I mumble. I had a pretty good idea why she had called and I didn't want to talk about that.
  "She wants you to come home. She's worried."
  "I don't want to talk to her."
  "I know you don't, but I think it's a good idea."I sit up.
  "Why would that be a good idea? She's the one who did this to me. She and Michael enrolled me without even talking to me first. I probably wouldn't even know about it unless that lady had come to talk to me at school!" I yelled.
  "What lady?" Rachel asks confused. I just look at her and bite my lip. In my rage I had forgotten that I hadn't told Rachel about Mrs. Pyre. Rachel stared at me for several moments looking as though I had slapped her. Then a look of realization crossed her face which was even worse.
  "That's why you left school." She had pieced it all together."You were never sick. After that lady told you about your new school you left."I didn't know what to say so I just continue to stand there taking it all in. Finally I got the courage to speak up.
  "Yes Rachel' a lady did come to talk to me at school yesterday. Yes I lied to you earlier by telling you that I was sick. Yes I did leave school early because I was in shock. I was yelling again but she still didn't say anything so I continued.
  "Don't you think this is a little harder for me Rachel. Its not like you have to change schools and say goodbye to all you friends." Tears were now brimming on the edges of my eyes threatening to overflow in a salty waterfall. She came over and hugged me and giving up let me cry on her shoulder.
  "No, I don't have to leave all my friends, but I do have to say goodbye to my best one."

No comments:

Post a Comment